The best learning environments honor the important connection between head, hand, and heart. I have made a list of what that means and what it might look like in a dynamic classroom where those three needs are honored and met. Here, then, is how a nurturing classroom recognizes that we are all unique learners:
- Learning is active and hands-on. Students should be moving around the classroom independently and actively engaged in the tasks at hand.
- Teachers recognize that every child is gifted and talented in some way, and find ways for the students to share their talent.
- Art and music are present in the classroom or the school. Is there a classroom library? A school library?
- There is time each day for teachers to read aloud to their students.
- Time is made for classroom movement breaks in addition to regular recess.
- Teachers show children how to use classroom tools and time wisely, and then they trust them to do just that.