The best learning environments honor the important connection between head, hand, and heart. I have made a list of what that means and what it might look like in a dynamic classroom where those three needs are honored and met. Here, then, is how a nurturing classroom recognizes that we are all unique learners:
- Teachers take the time to teach children how to care for others. Everyone helps each other succeed.
- Teachers try to understand the challenges that children may be facing in their home life.
- Teachers recognize that parent input is critical to their child’s success.
- Everybody gets the chance to be a leader.
- Student work is highlighted all over the classroom.
- Children feel that they are part of their classroom and part of the school community.
- Students are encouraged to be active participants in making their community and the world a better place.
- The students and the teacher are joyful.
And, finally, EVERYBODY LOOKS LIKE THEY WANT TO BE IN SCHOOL.